Saturday, May 26, 2012

Edward: The Rest of the Story


What a wonderful weekend at the Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival! The always friendly fiber community descended on Lexington, Ky for the 3rd annual festival. After missing last year, I was excited to see some old friends and meet many new ones.  

After entering the fiber scene the first year with some success, and the inability to attend last year, this event was much anticipated for many reasons.  We are a small farm and do not attend shows. This past year of hard work and watching fleeces grow, I was interested to see how little Windsor Wool Farm would do. It is not often I get to mingle with fiber folk and it was a real treat. 

My lovely white ram King Edward won first in the Longwool category.  I had watched him grow that fleece all year and was very proud of him.  Since the arrival of York, that is all anyone has talked about: "Oh, York is so beautiful, Oh, York has such wonderful black wool, Oh, York had 10 amazing lambs, 6 black, 4 black-factored whites, 8 ewes, 2 rams." He was so sick of York; morning, noon and night. So, when Edward found out I was entering HIS fleece, it took some of the sting of the past year's injustice of seeing his ewes with the new guy and no lambs of his own.  

This beautiful fleece was sold to June Potere of Winchester who appreciates it as much as I.

2 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

Congratulations on the fleece, all your fleeces look great.

junepot said...

I sure do!! I love Edward and if I could keep him here at our small acreage I would!! I am slowly washing and flick carding his impeccable locks. . . I will send you pictures of his coat turning into yarn soon!